|Chickpeas and Swiss Chard in the Style Tunisian Sahel (Morshan)|
|Recipe from: Mediterranean Cooking, Revised Edition, Copyright ©1994 by Paula Wolfert|
|Makes 4 servings|
1. In pot steam, parboil or microwave chard leaves until tender, about 5 minutes.
2. Set leaves in colander to drain.
3. Squeeze out excess moisture and shred coarsely.
4. Crush garlic in mortar with salt, coriander and chile until thick, crumbly paste forms.
5. Heat olive oil in 10-inch skillet and saute onion until pale-golden.
6. Add garlic paste and tomato paste and stir into oil until sizzling.
7. Add chard, cooked chickpeas and cooking liquid and cook, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
8. Remove from heat and let stand until ready to serve. (Contents of skillet should be very moist but not soupy. For looser texture, stir in more chick pea cooking liquid.)
9. Serve warm, at room temperature or cold with lemon wedges.
|[Home] [About] [Recipes] [Articles] [Cookbooks] [Links] [Subscribe]|
|©19992006 Paula Wolfert|